Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Bulletin #40 and Keeley

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Burlington Bulletin #40 and Keeley
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:31:22 EST
Charlie and list

The tank you refer to in your post could have a Keeley application.

My understanding of a Keeley...primarily from stories in the old RAILROAD
MAGAZINE was that a Keeley would be just a can or bucket of some kind that
the train crew would nail or hang on the side of a car. Is said tank of a
nature that that could happen.

Also in the same vane I'm told and think that there was a picture in one of
the issues of WYMORE STORY that locals out of Superior NE in the 1950's
handling cement loads out of Superior carried a tank car of water behind the
engine...said water to be used in cooling hotboxes. BTW my spell checker
doesn't recognize HOTBOX...surprise surprise.

I'm also reminded of an old RAILROAD story (supposedly a True Tale) whereby a
"know it all" brakeman who had had experience as a circus hand, on his first
trip experienced a hotbox and proceeded to show the crew the easy way to put
out fires as they did in the circus. This guy took a shovel and began to
spade sand from the ROW into the journal box to extinguish the fire. I
believe his first trip out was also his last.

Pete