Re: [BRHSlist] Names on C B & Q

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Names on C B & Q
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:49:43 -0600
Well I don't know about this "Onomastics" stuff. Probably should lock
up the wimmin and sic the dogs on ya but I'll give you a chance and
only keep my shotgun at the ready.

Here are ones that I know about:

"Sams" near Oliver on the Pea Vine. Washout derailment 16-Jun-90
that killed a La Crosse Conductor named Sam Jiardina.

"Catherine" replacing Burgess Jct. on the Montgomery to Streator line
in 1968. Some dude with money charters a train to get married. They
turned on the wye there and in 1968 CB&Q re-names the station after
his wife.

Alma WI was originally know as "Twelve Mile Bluff" by the river boats
and log rafters. When the first Swiss Immigrants got around to making
up the original plat in 1855 they had just read about a battle in the
Crimean War that was fought near the Alma river in Russia. They liked
the short name so they used it on the plat.

Nelson WI was named after James Nelson, an early settler and started
out as "Nelson's Landing"

Fountain City WI was named for a natural spring at the bottom on the
bluff. The depot was built near this spring but I think the name predated
the Railroad. Town originally called "Holme's Landing" after Thomas
Holmes, the first white settlement.