Baggage Car Identification?

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Baggage Car Identification?
From: jonathanharris@e...
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 23:22:35 -0900
I know this list can be faster than a speeding zephyr in identifying
equipment in old photos, so here's one that has me stumped. Maybe you can
help.

The upper photo on page 47 of The Burlington in Transition shows the
Exposition Flyer running through Red Oak, Iowa in 1945. The first car in
the train is a single-door, round-roofed, steel (or metal-sheathed) baggage
car, which doesn't resemble any Burlington car I know. To my naive eye it
looks like a Harriman car. The same (or similar) car appears in Wilson's
Burlington Route Across the Heartland, page 63, as the second car in Train
No. 12 (Ak-sar-ben), about the same location and around the same time -- or
maybe a few years later. Is this a Burlington car? If so, which one? If
not, what's it doing in these consists? Did it come in from the WP or SP on
one of the transcontinental trains?

Thanks for your help,
Jonathan