Re: [BRHSlist] Re: question (revised)

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: question (revised)
From: PSHedgpeth@a...
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 10:02:53 EST
Dave and list

RE the lightweight SD7's. You commented that these engines were purchased
specifically for use on the O'Neil Branch...I read this somewhere else lately
also.

I think that there is a bit more to it than just the O'Neil Branch. I think
that these units were purchased for use on all of the branches (in Nebraska
for sure and maybe elsewhere as well). Where rail and bridge weight
considerations were important.

These engines, purchased in 1952 if memory serves correctly, were put into
service originally on the Wymore Division branches ie DeWitt-Hildreth,
Lincoln-Nebraska City, Tecumseh-Auburn and Nebraska City switcher I think
that the heavier engines could operate on the Columbus Branch. The purchase
of the lightweight SD7's (400-411) marked the end of steam on the Wymore
Branch lines and changed the way that several of the locals were operated.
WYMORE STORY has the full details.

I worked the Fairmont-Hildreth local for about 3 months summer 1958 and we
always had one of the 400-411 series engines. They had smaller fuel tanks
and could only make one round trip Fairmont-Hildreth without refuelling and
consequently we traded engines with the Lincoln-Hastings local at Fairmont
prior to each trip west. These engines also had dual controls thus
eliminating the need for turntable at Nelson, Hebron, Hildreth and also the
wyes at the end of some of the stub end branches. There was a wye at Huntley
and maybe at Lushton where we turned the motorcars (9769 in 1956)...I
believe that the Huntley branch from Ayr Jct was upgraded in the 1960's
sometime to handle the SD7's also.

All of that to say that the O'Neil branch was not the only haunt of these
engines.

Pete Hedgpeth