Re: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] TZ Consists
From: Brad Slaney <bradslaney@w...>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:14:37 -0800
From: "Jules Johnson" <cbqrr17@a...>
To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 1:11 PM

> Wayner Publications, "CAR NAMES NUMBERS & CONSISTS" by Robert J Wayner,
states on page 225 that "Parlor Cars 340-SILVER PARLOR and 341-SILVER CHAIR
were outshopped in November 1949 for TWIN ZEPHYR operation" and "converted
in(to) dinette-chair cars in August and September 1968." This backs up Rich
G. 1950 consist, and appears that the cars were in TZ service till 1968,
after which they remained in TZ service(?) till Amtrak. Which leads to a
couple of questions: What does "outshopped" refer to-an existing car rebuilt
or a newly constructed car? What was the difference between the
Morning/Afternoon Zephyrs and the Twin Zephyrs? Were there 4 separate
consists ?, or were only 2 consists used? The original consists of the 1947
Twin Zephyrs does not list #4714-SILVER DOME. When were SILVER DOME and
#4709-SILVER CASTLE added to the Chicago-Minneapolis runs? For Rich G. 1950
consist, SILVER CASTLE was available. Your help is needed(?) as I have an
exam on this topic Friday(LOL).

Jules,

There were two separate trains. #21-#24; #22-#23. The Morning Zephyr was
turned at it's terminal, either Chicago or Minneapolis, and became the
Afternoon Zephyr for the return trip, both trainsets running almost 900
miles daily.

I could be wrong on this, but the differentiation between Morning/Afternoon
Zephyrs and Twin Zephyrs MAY be referring to the different trainsets, the
original shovelnose, articulated set and the later Dome trainset. But then
I've heard the train called, Afternoon Zephyr, Morning Zephyr, Twin Cities
Zephyr, Twin Zephyr. In all probability the names are interchangeable.

>From 1957 to 1963, I made at least 100 trips on the TCZ in both directions,
on both trainsets. The normal consist was baggage-lounge, 4 dome coaches,
diner and parlor-obs. Only once, was there ever a flat top parlor in the
consist, it was during the summer of '58 or '59 and it was going to Seattle,
being loaned to either GN or NP for their Seattle/Portland service. Just
because the timetable lists a car number, doesn't indicate the the car was
run. Cars were added or removed as business conditions dictated. Also
remember, we paid Chicago Union Station Company $10 for every car. We
couldn't fill one parlor car let alone two. Unnecessary, non revenue
producing cars did not last long on the Burlington.

BRAD