Middle Ave

To: Brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Middle Ave
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:24:25 EST
Steve somehwere in the treasure trove I have a standard scale engineering
track diagram of everything in the "alley" including buildings,company
names,etc. It covers everything from the switch off the Aurora Pass to and
including the CN&W rdhse.

Mike I have interviewed several former switchman who worked the Alley over
the years. One thing stayed constant right up until the end.Conflicts between
autos and trains.Bones Mathers often told of how many cars had to be towed in
the North end of the alley to get to Miller Packing and Magill Beverage.
Besides these 2 here's just a sampling of the customers that the "Alley Job"
served: Western Untied Gas and Electric(becam N.I. Gas(left in '57 for
Joliet),Griswold Feed,Aurora Fruit and Produce,The Beacon,McCredie
Oil,Standard Oil,White and Todd Lumber,Randall Lumber,A Texaco Distrubutor
whos' name escapes me at the moment, a scrap dealer directly opposite the
Beacon,IH, Burro, Crane Plumbing Supply,Steck Coal,the Allied Warehouse, the
CN&W interchange and many more that I need to refer to my notes on. Per Al
Spencer, Richards Wilcox was switched by the 4:00 PM depot job.
Per my grandfather (who worked the job for several years during steam days
they would routinely leave Eola with 40-60 cars and then make another trip
back to Eola for more.
Per Bones they would switch out the cars in the River St yard and then shove
down the Alley w/The Northwesterns leading.He said they took everything for
the alley with them and then worked the industries on the way back south.Just
imagine shoving down the alley across every downtown street in Aurora !

Leo