Epidemic

To: brhslist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Epidemic
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:39:38 EST
I've been kind of out of touch with the list due to holidays and a rash of
derailments.
I know the RR's have been basically closing down for Christmas but believe me
they sure had enough wrecks between 12/21 and 1/5 to keep us car owners busy
with D/v's and dispos to shops.
The wreck about one mile from Rochester,NY on CSXT brought back a whole
bunch of memories. It happened just before Christmas. Seems a local with 36
cars stopped to switch Eastman Kodak. After cutting off their train the crew
was going into the plant engine lite and then plannning on coming back to
their train to grab 2 loads of acetone to spot in the plant. But before they
could even get into the plant their train rolled down upon them and shoved
them down a grade until all 36 cars(two 20,000 gallon loads of acetone and 34
cars of coal along with two GP-40s derailed on a curve). A large fire which
destroyed some homes and boat yard ensued.
Yes the two tank cars were UTLX marked. They were destroyed, bought at site
and cut up.
After reading 2 reports of the incident that is still under investigation I
suspect that the infamous "bottled the air manuever is involved".
Leo