Locomotive Pool Power

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Locomotive Pool Power
From: mack@c...
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 16:51:22 -0000
I am trying to get a feel for what locomotives from other RR's
frequently pooled on Q frieghts (and am hoping this post will
generate a lot of reminiscing and replies). I am aware that Q pooled
power with UP, EL, NYC, PC, and I believe D&RGW, but would like to
try to confirm what RR's and what types were most often pooled. I
would like to try to spice up my loco fleet a little but want to try
to stay as prototypical as possible (yes, maybe an occassional PC
C636 found its way onto the Q, but does anyone really know for sure).
I have noted in pictures the following units from various books and
magazines, but would like to try to put together a list of which of
these were most common. If you supply primary areas where this power
roamed I will include that in my compilation as well (although this
may be overkill). I will then compile everything together and repost
it to the group:

UP: GP30, GP30B, U50, SD24, SD24B (what about U50C's or even C630's)

EL: GP35, U25C, SD45, SDP45 (what about their C424/C425s?)

NYC: GP30, GP35, GP40, U25B

PRR: C424, GP30, GP35

PC: GP30, GP35, GP40 (did they pool much C-C power, esp U33C,
SD40/45?)

D&RGW: GP30, GP40

AT&SF: RSD5 (mainly on C&S)

SP: Any pooling? I know BN did some leasing of SP C628/C630's, were
these ever found on CB&Q lashups?

WP: Any pooling?

C&NW: Any pooling?

GN/NP/SP&S: Any frequent pooling pre-merger?

It seems from my pictures that most of the pool power was B-B,
although UP C-C power seemed frequent, even at least one shot of a UP
U50 (B+B-B+B). I am also very interested to what extent any neighbor
roads Alcos showed up on the Q, especially Century series (there are
several shots of AT&SF RSD4/5's on C&S frieghts in one of my C&S
books, but I only particularly remember a PRR C424 in one shot in any
of my books - perhaps lack of Alco parts/expertise on the Q system).

Finally, and maybe hardest, what about power at interchange points.
Does anyone know of any C&NW or MILW interchange points (or other
roads) where it might be common to see Alco RS/RSD units, Baldwins,
or even F-M's on CB&Q property?

Thanks in advance,

Tom