Re: [BRHSlist] Bachmann 4-8-4

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Bachmann 4-8-4
From: atsf3460@a...
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 11:17:35 EST
I don't think anyone ever responded to Bryan's question about the Bachmann
4-8-4s they have sold lettered for Burlington in the past. These models are
their trainset version of their Santa Fe #3776 class 4-8-4 which is a decent
plastic model of a big Santa Fe northern. They are simply lettered for
Burlington. Unfortunately any prototypical similiarity ends there. That
being said, these things are a mess mechanically. If you want one I'd
suggest you try to find a Bachmann Plus version (and these are sort of rare
since they have stopped using and producing the Santa Fe version of their
4-8-4 since the mold is worn out I understand). They are still making SP
Daylights and NYC Niagaras (the N&W J will be a brand new model from a new
mold soon). At least you get a more traditional drive with Plus version. An
alternate to all of this is to get the Bowser drive for the Bachmann 4-8-4s.

Still the best way to get a "Q" 4-8-4 is too find a nice Overland early #5600
or NJ Custom Brass "big" #5600 4-8-4 for maybe $400 or so.

Mike Martin
Peoria Heights, IL