Re: [BRHSlist] A bit off topic

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] A bit off topic
From: drale99@a...
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 17:15:16 EDT
I'm hoping there will now be increased support in congress for Amtrak. Up to
now there just hasn't been enough to offer much hope of a good future for
passenger train service in this country, which has disappointed me, because
the Republicans whom I support have been the strongest opponents. We in NY
are pleased that Democratic Senator Schumer is one of the strongest
proponents of nationwide RR passenger service. We hope he will continue to
be, and that he now gets increased help from others in Washington.

I really believe a good RR passenger system is essential in this country.
This was true even before the kamikazy attack, because the airlines had
reached the point where they could not, and would be increasingly unable in
the future to cope with the travel demands of our country. High-speed train
travel, both in the corridor and across the country, is a necessary part of
our transportation equation. If our RR passenger system is allowed to
deteriorate any further, it will vanish and become irredeemable.

DRaleReeves