Re: [BRHSlist] A bit off topic

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] A bit off topic
From: "35582 - ginger shipley" <muffie@i...>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 06:00:41 -0700

> According to a report I heard I think on NPR, train travel is having
> resurgence. It was reported that it is rather difficult to get
tickets on
> many of the longer runs. How long it will last is anybody's guess but
> probably not long.

This thread reminds me of an Amtrak ride I took in 1979. I was living
in Iceland, and preferred train travel from the coast when I went home
to Iowa. Amtrak had re-instituted the Lake Cities Limited shortly
before, along the old NYC "Water Level Route", and I decided to take
that instead of the more familiar Broadway.

It was a madhouse - The train was carrying extra cars (back in those
days, Amtrak still *had* extra cars), which taxed the units into a
power failure. When passengers started getting a bit unruly as the
trip stretched to over 24 hours, the normal-sized train crew couldn't
cope & simply gave up -

And why was this? Because my trip just *happened* to be less than a
week after the Three Mile Island incident, and the Broadway Limited
passed about a mile from the site.

I later learned that the avoidance of the Broadway lasted for over a
month . . .

We may see a "fear of flying" which lasts even longer, this time - I
wonder if Amtrak will handle it better.

Marshall