Re: [BRHSlist] A bit off topic

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] A bit off topic
From: Don Zinnecker <dzinnecker@j...>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:38:09 -0500
BRHS listers:

Marshall wrote...."We may see a "fear of flying" which lasts even longer,
this time - I
wonder if Amtrak will handle it better."

...In the next few days and weeks, it will probably strain Amtrak.

But in the long run, perhaps this will be the opportunity Amtrak needs in
Washington, DC. We're witnessing political solidarity unlike anything
we've seen in decades.

An enhanced national passenger railroad network is a strong alternative
and supplement to the air and highway travel that has become so dominant
in our society.
It can't happen though, without additional heavy capital investment,
along with a wide spread belief that it's a good investment for the
future of this country.

We need to quickly move beyond the notion of Amtrak's 'financial self
sufficiency by 2002' (see Don Phillip's column "Self-sufficiency is
self-delusion" in the Sept issue of Trains magazine.) Maybe the
terrible events of this week can actually end up having a positive
outcome in this regard.

Thanks for listening... -Don