Re: Question on HO scale Nickel Plate 2-10-4

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Question on HO scale Nickel Plate 2-10-4
From: dcdewi@a...
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 01:17:26 -0000
Eric,

I would generally agree with Mike Martin that you should plan on
remotoring and regearing the NPP CB&Q 2-10-4 as well as doing some
detailing and corrections. I haven't been watching the prices for
these lately, but I would think $450 is tops.

I had one of the LMB version which I dumped when the NPP version came
out as I thought is was a much better model even though built by the
same builder. I believe the NPP model was a decent but somewhat plain
model for its time. It was very sturdily built. You could drive
nails with it. In general I have always felt that the LMB models
were very poor but for some prototypes that was all there was. THe
only LMB model that I have retailed is the CB&Q 4-6-2 which in my
opion was much better than most of their models.

If you really would like to move up from the Pinto to the Mercedes,
save up your coins in hopes that you will run across one of the
Challenger CB&Q 2-10-4s. I think they are outstanding. Sure glad I
was able to purchase one when they first came out. I believe that
prices on these have gone up substantially in the 2nd owner market.
My NPP version was sold when the Challenger models came out.

Dale DeWitt

--- In BRHSlist@y..., Eric Mumper <eric_mumper@m...> wrote:
> List,
> I have one each of these and thought maybe someday I would
add some
> detail just for fun since they are such neat engines. I can do the
> remotering/regearing, but I would like to know if anybody out there
has
> attempted replacing the regular main driver with the correct boxpok
> version.
>

> Eric Mumper
> atsf3460@a... wrote:
> >
> > If you're concerned about the drive and purchase this model I
would plan to
> > go ahead and put a new gearbox and motor into it. I have a good
friend that
> > has a Nickle Plate #6315 version of this model. He had a new
gearbox from
> > NWSL installed along with a Sagami motor and flywheel. Weight
was also added
> > to the model I believe. It now runs probably as well as any
current drive
> > available.
> >
> > These models are readily available and I would suggest a value of
a really
> > nice painted Nickle Plate Products version at around $450 or so.
I have an
> > older LMB version of this model which is a real oddball because
the castings
> > for the feedwater heater are very small ... I'm not quite sure
what the story
> > is on this bugger. This is a model I would like to see redone by
Precision