Re: [BRHSlist] For E or F crew -

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] For E or F crew -
From: Thomas Kaufman <elmer53@y...>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 20:34:26 -0700 (PDT)
--- 35582 - ginger shipley <muffie@i...> wrote:

> I need help from members with cab experience in Q Es or Fs.
>
> I am finally finishing my E-5 kitbash from the P2K E-6 (and before I
> get all sorts of questions, yes - it will eventually be an article in
> RMC), and I am including a full cab interior from Keystone. Since, in
> layout operation, the motor will only be seen operating along the 7' of
> visual mainline during a station stop, I want to make the
> interior "scene" somewhat candid.
>
> Did EMD cab seats rotate? I am depicting the third seat for the
> headend brakeman - would he be wearing a passenger uniform? In 1944,
> would the engineer and fireman on a diesel unit be wearing white
> coveralls or denim? How about the hats?
>
> This is a rush job, so quick responses would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Marshall

I haven't had any "passenger cab experience, but I seem to remember
seeing in pictures in Trains and others that passenger enginemen,
(engineers and firemen) wore white coveralls, jackets, and caps. All
engine seats swivel. Head brakeman's seat was directly behind the
fireman'seat, right to the left of the left side door. Rear brakeman
always wore a passenger uniform I would guess as he was intermingling with
the traveling public so had to invoke a company image. I don't know if
passenger trains carried a head brakeman, so if they did I assume they
wore denim hats and coveralls so now to be confused with the engineman. I
leave this open for discussion as I am not 100% sure. I am basing this as
I said from photos published in books and magazines. Tom Kaufman