Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Cantilever signal bridges

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Cantilever signal bridges
From: "D. Gabe Gabriel" <signaling@r...>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:32:46 -0400
A twin cantilever signal installation is called a "bracket mast".
Wayside signal installations come in flavors of single mast, bracket mast,
cantilever, and bridge (and the variations used to fix to tunnels, walls,
and bridges). There is no such thing as a cantilever bridge.

For anyone curious, these terms are officially defined by
RSA/ARA/AAR/AREMA - not the dictionary, as they are railroad signal terms.
Anyone can use any terms they wish, but, it decreases credibility of the
rest of a discussion for me when a post shows that the most basic facts are
unknown.

As an interesting note on exceptions to the norm... There has even been at
least one cantilever designed with a support, making it look like a bridge
to some people, but, the small support was only to add strength under
excessive loads, with normal loads supported by the cantilever - this was
termed a supported cantilever.

Gabe
signaling@r...