Re: CB&Q Cantilever Signal Bridges

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: CB&Q Cantilever Signal Bridges
From: binder5295@a...
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:24:05 -0000
re: surviving cantilever signals; I think the one referred to has
been removed. There was one at "West Waverly" that was finally
removed late 2000. Signals had been removed earlier.

ALL the ex-CB&Q signal bridges in eastern Nebraska are either gone or
on the endangered list. There used to be several in Lincoln, but
most are now replaced with lineside signals. Same along the line to
Omaha. Between Lincoln and Omaha you used to see quite a few signal
bridges and/or cantilevers, but the BNSF want to get rid of 'em. I
asked a former Q signalman about this and he stated the RR and OSHA
don't like the climb hazard. The bridge at 1st and "J" in Lincoln is
still used, and so is the four track bridge at Waverly (that one's
only 8 blocks from me!). The last time I rode Hwy6 the (signalless)
bridges were still in place at the crossover east of Greenwood, but I
think they will be down this summer (if they aren't already!)

A fast-vanishing landmark along the old Q lines.
Gary Binder