Re:Digest Number 953 MP 235

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re:Digest Number 953 MP 235
From: "Larry L. Doub" <nftrains@n...>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 03:55:49 -0500
While you were talking about FT Madison Web cam.
Last year While on a trip to the Q-Cities, we went this route so we could get a
look at the SF Northern that is sitting there and the Hudson in Burlington,
Anyway, We couldn't find the Northern sitting there, Never been at that part of
town and was told there was some kind of big Steamer there, Stopping at a Gas
Station up the road a ways, I went in and asked the YOUNG girl working "around
16 yr old"
"Do you know were the Steam engine was that is displayed here",
she gave my This funny kind of look and said "What's that"
I about fell to the floor, I said "you know a steam engine, old time train"
She just looked and me and said "I don't know if there is one here or not"
So I went out to the car and seen and older guy pumping gas, I asked him if he
lived there and if he knew were it was, he said there wasnt' anything like that
there and the closest thing he knew of like that ws up at Old Threashers in MT
Pleasent,
So very disapionted I pulled out and was going to head for Burlington,
Knowing it was there some place and my sourse of info wasn't wrong, We drove a
little ways down the road and Low & Behold there sitting as large as life in
all it glory was the Old Steam Engine.
Anyway, I just can't believe these kids now-a-days, don't they know anything
about this Counrty anymore, Just find it a little sad that they live in a big
RR town like that and couldn't even tell me that.
Don't they teach this good stuff in schools anymore, I mean it was the RR that
paved the way for everthing else, Right?

Larry Doub