Re: [BRHSlist] Lines west (and south)

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Lines west (and south)
From: "Richard Patterson" <rpatter@t...>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 10:29:28 -0700
Ed,
Actually the whole comment was made in jest. However, I clearly remember my
great grandfather, a rancher from southeast Wyoming, referring to his annual
trips to Omaha on the stock trains as "going back east." He was born and raised
in Appanoose County Iowa (near Centerville), homesteading in Wyoming in 1907. I
guess the term "back east" is relative, since most areas we, Wyomingites, refer
to with that term think of themselves as "Midwestern." Interestingly, I don't
think we ever refer to California, etc. as out west. We don't usually think of
it as "The West," but rather the west coast.
Rick