NE12 paint

To: "'BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com'" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: NE12 paint
From: Roger & Sylvia Hanson <hansons@b...>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 21:05:34 -0600
Over the weekend, I was blessed to acquire (at a local antique mall, no
less) a brass Oriental Limited CB&Q NE12 #13560 waycar. I won't talk price
-suffice to repeat, I was blessed.

Now the question for the list. This car is in Chinese red, with black
roof, nicely weathered.
Before you hit the "reply' button, YES, I know that this is the first
number of the 1960 third production run of the prototype NE12's introduced
in 1954 which which I understand were all painted in the silver scheme with
the red stripe and large herald.

BUT - this model appears to have been factory painted??? Did Oriental
really put these out in red? - or is this just a very good paint job by the
previous owner?
AND - if this was not a factory paint job by Oriental - is there any
justification to keeping it in red as it is now? (other than the fact that
I do kinda' like the looks of it in red - and, hey - it coulda'
happened....well, maybe....).

Proves you never know what you'll find, or where you'll find it.
Thanks,

Roger Hanson
Kansas City, Missouri