a digression

To: "BRHS list" <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: a digression
From: "John A. Swearingen" <jas@s...>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:01:40 -0600
I know this is not C.B.&Q. related but I hope an occasional digression is
permitted. It is certainly an interesting question concerning an arcane bit of
railroad history. For a few days I've been perusing the net to no avail, so
thought I would inquire of the most knowledgeable railroad-minded people I know.

Was the Santa Fe's "Blue Goose" a one-of-a-kind? There seems to have been six
locomotives in the 3460 class of 4-6-4s, but I can find no evidence that any
but #3460 were streamlined. Does anyone have a quick answer to this?

Also, did the Santa Fe have any passenger cars painted in the "Blue Goose"
scheme? Model maker Rivarossi markets some, but are they accurate? I don't
recall ever having seen photographs of prototypes painted like that.