Coal traffic north of Beardstown

To: "BRHSlist@o..." <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Coal traffic north of Beardstown
From: hold-on@s...
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 21:15:05 -0800
In a book in my library called "Coal Age's Tested Methods and Shortcuts"
compiled by the editors of Coal Age during the 2nd World War(No copy
right date but charts end in 1942) it talks about the revision of
production at the Schulyer Coal Corp near Rushville, Ill. (a branch
south out of Vermont) A strip mine which shipped by both rail and
highway. One of the Photos shows both gons and a hopper car with C&S
lettering. The Photo is muddy and I can not make out the car number
just the C&S. The article does not state how much the mine could ship
but my copy of the 1943-44 Keystone Coal Buyers Manual shows it shipped
103,355 tons in 1942 and a daily capacity of 800 tons. IF it all went
by rail 16 cars per day
Another article is on the Fairview Collieries Corp new mine in
Fairview, Ill. This mine used a 33 yard shovel to uncover(Strip mine)
4000 tons per day. This mine was at the end of what was left of the
Fulton County Narrow Gauge and operated as a branch out of Lewistown.
First coal was shipped in Jan 1942 with a mine life expected of 10 years
and shipped 897,525 tons in 1942 or 80 cars per day. The track charts
show the mine tipple to have 6 tracks
Just two of the many mines north of Beardstown
SJH

--
Click here for Free Video!!
http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/