Re: [BRHSlist] Forwarded Posts re: Psgr Train Operations

To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Forwarded Posts re: Psgr Train Operations
From: "M. Thayer" <zephyr@k...>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:08:41 -0600
From: "Ed DeRouin" <PIXELS@A...>
To: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 9:52 AM

>snip<

> > The Zephyr-Rocket would be somewhat similar, although
> > it did have a stop at the point where it changed railroads. Did it
> > set out and pick up a home lines RPO?
>
> The RPO route was St. Louis to St. Paul. A single car operated in its
> entirety. Both roads contributed RPOs to the train.

I was familiar with Burlington IA during the late forties and fifties, and
almost every day, one would see a silver modernized turtle-roofed RI RPO
sitting on the siding next to Grier's Restaurant (in the station) - often,
one of the Q's heavyweight 6-window RPOs would be parked on the first track
beyond the station mains. Were these two cars involved in the Zephyr Rocket
operation? For most of this time, the two trains "crossed" at Burlington
between midnight and 2 am . . . .

Marshall