Re: "Best" Job(s)?

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: "Best" Job(s)?
From: bradslaney@w...
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:52:29 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@egroups.com, "Karl L Rethwisch" <karlre@r...> wrote:
> Are we taking a poll for the best job on the old Aurora Dv. ? If
so, I would like to enter my vote for best job for the Fox River
Wayfreight.

> While I was never "old enough" to have worked it on a regular basis
as either Fireman or Engineer I did catch it off the list enough
times to really get a "feel" for it and learn to appreciate one of
the finer things in life.

> This job "owned" the railroad for the whole day and you set your
work schedule accordingly. You always had a chance to get more
tonnage out of Wedron than the engine was good for and you had nobody
gettin' in your way all day. (Sigh).

> Karl

Just being a bean counter in the Accounting Dept for a while, I can't
speak from experience but I knew plenty of the crews on the Aurora
Division.

If you wanted to be home at night, the Twin City Zephyr pool was
probably the best. It was a three day rotation. Day 1: 21 and 22,
with a step off at Aurora. Day 2: Step on 22 at Aurora and then 23
and 24. Day 3: Off.

If you didn't care about being home at night 1 and 10 took a lot of
seniority.

The Rockford Wayfreight was popular because of the overtime involved
which calculated to over $70 a trip, big bucks forty years ago.

Engineer on 21 and 22 was a premium job because upon arrival at CUS
you were releived right in the depot. No going out to the Zephyr Pit.
Charlie Warren held this and took very good care of me shortly before
his retirement.

BRAD