Re: [BRHSlist] CZ Turnaround

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CZ Turnaround
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@p...>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:12:49 -0600
Karl Zimmerman, in his book The California Zephyr, states on page 34 that the
NYC
leased one of the D&RGW sleepers. Because of the long layover, only one
additional car was needed to protect the transcontinental sleeper line CZ11.

However, in 1957, when Pennsy wanted out, New York Central was, according to
Zimmerman (pp. 76-77) still willing to continue the service (Remember, at the
time, the NYC Chairman was Robert Young, who promoted these transcontinental
services). However, even with alternate day service, 7 sleepers would have been
required to protect the service. Unfortunately, when Pennsy threw in the towel,
they reclaimed their sleeper, the Silver Rapids. Because the CZ cars had the
intercom system that the other Burlington cars did not, according to Zimmerman,
the loss of the car meant the loss of the car line. Zimmerman states that the
Pennsy was willing to trade the Silver Rapids for another 10-6 sleeper, but none
of the 3 CZ partner railroads "..had one to offer.."

It is very likely that the NYC participation in the transcontinental line would
have ended in 1958 anyway. Chairman Young committed suicide that year, and his
next-in-command Al Perlman, saw passenger trains as moneylosers and discontinued
and consolidated them. While the 20th Century Limited and the Commodore
Vanderbilt had been temporarily combined during the latter part of the summer of
1957, in 1958, the combination was made permanent. I believe, at that time, all
participation by the NYC in transcontinental sleeping cars ended, and this
included cars forwarded on the Union Pacific and on the Santa Fe.

sjl