Re: [BRHSlist] Fog

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Fog
From: hold-on@s...
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 15:27:24 +0000

qutlx1@a... wrote:

> Fog is hard to drive an automobile in. Ever think what it does to your
> ability to run a train? While you are (generally)operating under signal
> indication and therefore can run at whatever speed the trk and signal
> indication allows; it gets real interesting as soon as you start operating on
> yellows or flashing yellow or more restrictive indications. Ground fog in the
> spring, winter and late fall (temperature inversions that cause the moisture
> to hang at ground level until the sun burns them off) are the worst.You
> quickly lose your bearings as all the familiar landmarks are gone and things
> either take forever to show up or come up far earlier than you expected.
> I recall one day (evening) on the Earlville Turn when as the sun set the
> ground fog became so thick we couldn't see the signals nor whistle posts
> until we were on top of them. So Bob Brummel had me call whistle posts as we
> ran eastward,(after making the turn @ Earlville) because he simply couldn't
> tell where he was running long hood forward. I recall another time running
> east on the C&I and we were following another frt and Ray Moore Sr and I were
> in the midst of a heated discussion on something and passed a "clear" board
> at the West end of Chana and were deep into our debate when the yellow at the
> East end brought us both back to reality real quick.
> Leo

List
I will say amen to Leo. I once rode 348 from Galesburg to Aurora as we were
moving to Galesburg in Dec. of '83 and the fog was so thick you could not see
the
signals until you were going under them. They were all green but you had to look
hard and quick to make them out.
SJH

--
Click here for Free Video!!