Fog

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Fog
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 19:28:56 EDT
Fog is hard to drive an automobile in. Ever think what it does to your
ability to run a train? While you are (generally)operating under signal
indication and therefore can run at whatever speed the trk and signal
indication allows; it gets real interesting as soon as you start operating on
yellows or flashing yellow or more restrictive indications. Ground fog in the
spring, winter and late fall (temperature inversions that cause the moisture
to hang at ground level until the sun burns them off) are the worst.You
quickly lose your bearings as all the familiar landmarks are gone and things
either take forever to show up or come up far earlier than you expected.
I recall one day (evening) on the Earlville Turn when as the sun set the
ground fog became so thick we couldn't see the signals nor whistle posts
until we were on top of them. So Bob Brummel had me call whistle posts as we
ran eastward,(after making the turn @ Earlville) because he simply couldn't
tell where he was running long hood forward. I recall another time running
east on the C&I and we were following another frt and Ray Moore Sr and I were
in the midst of a heated discussion on something and passed a "clear" board
at the West end of Chana and were deep into our debate when the yellow at the
East end brought us both back to reality real quick.
Leo