Re: [BRHSlist] Mendota, Illinois Modeling

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Mendota, Illinois Modeling
From: Paul/Celine Kossart <kozys@t...>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:06:12 -0500
Cc: GEU30CG@a...
Darren Ferreter <GEU30CG@a...> wrote:

>I am finally into my new house and have space for about a 13' x 33' layout
>based of course on the Q between Mendota and Galesburg. Does anyone on the
>list know of availiable track diagrams of Mendota? Looking at it today
gives
>no idea of how the Milwaukee and Illinois Central weaved thru there. I know
>there was an article in Model Railroading a few years back but the map from
>that issue was not the best. Thanks,

Darren,

A couple of sorces come to mind. First of all, contact the restored Union
Depot Museum in Mendota [contact info forthcoming]. They have many
artifacts and scads of paper and photos from the area as well as equipment
including the board from the tower.

A trackplan of the area appeared awhile back in an issue of the "Flimsy"
which is the newslettrer of the NMRA's Rock River Valley Division. If my
info is still current, you could contact John Mann for a possible copy of
that page or maybe even an extra copy of the newsletter laying around. He
used (still) does the mailing and don't forget to send him some money for
postage. I have this somewhere but it is still packed away from my not so
recent move. If you are interested in contacting John, email me offlist
for his address.

From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@m...>
Subject: Re: Mendota, Illinois Modeling

>You might want to check with the folks at the Mendota Union Depot RR
>Museum...they have an HO layout based on what it used to be like....they
may be >able to point you in the right direction....

The man to contact would be Ray Tutaj (pronounced 2-tie). He is the
station master and also built the HO layout John refers to above. He went
from old track charts and photos and scratchbuilt or kitbashed the
structures to accurately reflect what he saw in those photos. He recently
did the same for a re-creation of the Cherry mine which is something like
16 feet long and is currently on display at the library in nearby Ladd, IL.

The contact info is Ray Tutaj, c/o Union Depot RR Museum, 738 Main Street,
Mendota, IL 61342. Phone is: 815-538-3800. If you are in or near the
area give them a call and find out about coming to see the layout and talk
to Ray. He is a very hospitable, easy going individual and a real gentleman.

I am curious what time frame you are planning to model as that would affect
some of the trackage and industries and useage of both depending on the
year. The museum is supposed to represent something like the
thirties/forties time frame so I constantly tease Ray about Chinese Red
motive power and rolling stock showing up on the layout. I should mention
that Milwaukee and IC equipment and track is represented on the layout as
well.

I believe the layout is only open to the public on weekends but Ray may be
able to open it up for you for a private viewing depending on his schedule.
Many of the museum volunteers and residents of the area worked for the "Q"
and possibly Ray could put you in touch with some of them as well.

There was also a writeup in the May/June 1999 issue of "Model Railroading"
magazine with many pictures of the layout which you may be able to get a
back issue of.

How about posting a trackplan/progress report/photos of your layout
(hint-hint R. Gortowski et al.) to the shared file areas for this list at
egroups.

Good Luck!

Paul Kossart
Peru, IL USA (Between Chicago & Peoria in Illinois corn & coal country)

Modeling the CB&Q Illiniwek River Branch in HO, circa early fall 1969.
"Serving Agriculture and Industry in the Illiniwek River Valley"
BRHS and TP&W Historical Societies, NMRA, LS&BC Model RR Club

I'M NOT PLAYING WITH TRAINS, I'M OPERATING A MODEL RAILROAD!!
(well, most of the time.)