Mendota

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Mendota
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 21:30:34 EDT
The thing that always struck me about Mendota was how almost every track in
the South yard had a name(no number) so just figuring out what trk you were
on was sometimes a struggle (some names were mill1,2,house 1,2,coach,
advance,etc,etc,etc.Somewhere I have a diagram of the south yard w/names on
each trk,now where did I put it? The north yard had numbers. Depending on
what date you model Mendota was from time to time home to the "moonlight
job"(Denrock or Barstow Turn),Rockfalls w/f,Lasalle job,Gt turn.
The other strong memory of Mendota is the narrow trk centers in both
yards.Many a covered hopper left there w/rub marks down their sides.The
center of both yards were the worst.You did not dare stand between the tracks
when cars on one were being moved.
I remember pulling lots of coal off the I.C. transfer headed for Delmonte in
town and "New City" in Rochelle.
Leo