Car Distribution

To: brhslist@egroups.com
Subject: Car Distribution
From: qutlx1@a...
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:51:35 EDT
Does anyone know how mty car distribution on the Q worked? I know the car
distribution office was in G.O.(on 16 I think). When a shipper ordered a car
I assume the agent called the car distributor and he found a car and routed
it to the location for loading. But the details are unknown, were there
limits as to how far (physical distance) the search would extend, when would
they fill w/a foreign car ( I know the car service rules, but at what point
in the search would they quit looking for a home road car and grab that
foreign mty)?Did each Div or lines East/West have car distributors?

Speaking of car distribution here is one distribution item that I do know.
Every fall the car distributors would provide the operating dept. a list of
hoppers with Rogers Selective gates that needed to be returned to coal
service from ballast/work train service. Then in the spring the process was
reversed so the m-o-w guys had ballast cars. Leo