Re: [BRHSlist] Car Distribution

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Car Distribution
From: hold-on@s...
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:49:34 +0000

qutlx1@a... wrote:

> Does anyone know how mty car distribution on the Q worked? I know the car
> distribution office was in G.O.(on 16 I think). When a shipper ordered a car
> I assume the agent called the car distributor and he found a car and routed
> it to the location for loading. But the details are unknown, were there
> limits as to how far (physical distance) the search would extend, when would
> they fill w/a foreign car ( I know the car service rules, but at what point
> in the search would they quit looking for a home road car and grab that
> foreign mty)?Did each Div or lines East/West have car distributors?
>
> Speaking of car distribution here is one distribution item that I do know.
> Every fall the car distributors would provide the operating dept. a list of
> hoppers with Rogers Selective gates that needed to be returned to coal
> service from ballast/work train service. Then in the spring the process was
> reversed so the m-o-w guys had ballast cars. Leo

At Eola the third trick operator use to do the car distribution in '74 when I
worked there one nite a week. You would take the inbound consist with the empty
cars and a list put out by downtown on who wanted what and assign the cars to
the customer punching the spot numbers on the cards and then running the lists
for the yardmaster to assign to a switch job.
SJH