Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Narrow gauge

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] CB&Q Narrow gauge
From: Ken Martin <kmartin@c...>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:26:16 -0700
> I was looking through the Burlington Route photo collection of the
> Denver Public Library. Some steam photos indicated narrow gauge.

> Can someone give us some details on the CB&Q narrow gauge?

> Thx!
> Jack Grasso

I just got back from a trip and saw this in the archives.

What you saw was probably the 537 running on the C&Sng. This engine came from
the CB&Q ng operations in the Black Hills of So. Dakota. The CB&Q acquired the
two narrow gauge lines the DEADWOOD CENTRAL and the
BLACK HILLS AND FORT PIERRE which were made part of the CB&Q in 1904, they ran
until 1930 when they were abandoned and 537 was loaned to the C&S.

History of the Black Hills ng is covered in:
RAILROADS OF THE BLACK HILLS, Mildred Fielder Superior/Bonanza
MAKING THE GRADE, Rick Mills, 1985 paperback (hard to find)

The CB&Q also owned 5 other ng railroads that were either standard gauged or
abandoned early in the twentieth century.

BURLINGTON AND NORTHWESTERN
BURLINGTON AND WESTERN
See: Burlington Bulletin #30
FULTON COUNTY NARROW GAUGE
See: R&LHS Bulletin 61A, 2nd edition, Chicago chapter R&LHS, 1988
DENVER, UTAH & PACIFIC
DES MOINES, OSCEOLA AND SOUTHERN
See: ACROSS IOWA ON THE K&W & THE H&S, Corbin (short section in book)

Ken Martin