Re: [BRHSlist] F3's

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] F3's
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:37:02 -0500
Ed DeRouin wrote:

> Dan:
>
> If you mean by your question, how did the Q mate the F3's, in fixed sets
> or mixed sets? I can give you some information.
>
> The heart of the answer is your time reference. When delivered, the
> units remained in fixed consists or sets. As time went on, both
> maintenance and operating needs caused the sets to be broken apart and
> mixed with other F units. After 1958 or so, I don't have the specific
> date handy, the Q began mixing GP and SD type locomotives with F units.
> As the second generation of motive power began to replace the first,
> more locomotive mixing was done. Just as today, the newer locomotives
> were assigned to higher priority trains.
>
> Ed DeRouin

Dan/Ed;

The correct way would be to go thru the Assignment sheets as they
indicated which way the units were paired. Problem is that I've been
down here six years and can not lay my hands on that particular resource
right now.

Do have some personal observations that might prove interesting.

Visual confirmation of drawbar coupled units:

116DC 30-JAN-1965
117AB 26-JAN-1965
117DC 02-MAR-1965
121AB 07-JAN-1965
121DC 07-JAN-1965 All four on same train. Coupler between the B & C.
122DC 06-MAR-1965
123AB 21-DEC-1964
123DC 10-FEB-1965
124AB 13-FEB-1965
124DC 18-JAN-1965
125DC 15-JAN-1965
126AB 09-JAN-1965
127AB 02-JAN-1965
128AB 07-JAN-1965
129AB 10-FEB-1965
132DC 28-JAN-1965
133AB 10-JAN-1965
133DC 30-DEC-1964
134DC 31-DEC-1964
135A 30-JAN-1965 "B" was absent.
135DC 31-JAN-1965
136DC 25-FEB-1965
160ABC 01-JAN-1965 No drawbars, all couplers.
161ABC 29-DEC-1964
162ABC 02-FEB-1965
163ABC 20-FEB-1965 The "C" was by itself on this date. Did not see the
other two.
164ABC 31-JAN-1965
165ABC 28-JAN-1965
166ABC 09-FEB-1965 "A" was seen by itself. "C" by itself on 02-JAN-1965.
167ABC 25-JAN-1965
168ABC 02-FEB-1965 "A" was seen by itself. "C" by itself on 31-DEC-1964.
169ABC 24-JAN-1965 The "A" was by itself on this date. Did not see the
other two.
9960CB 02-FEB-1965

I got interested in this stuff for a while and then the novelty wore off.
Please note that in the above list the CB&Q would have called the 132DC
just as shown. Both letters were listed on train lists with the cabbed
unit first. On the other hand the 161ABC would just be shown as the
"161" like it was one locomotive. Whether the "A" or "C" was leading
did not matter.

I THINK that the standard useage at that time for the train with all four
121's would have been "121AB-121CD" if the "A" was in the lead.

Have to think about that one a little more.

Russ