Re: [BRHSlist] Set out/pickups

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Set out/pickups
From: vlbg <vlbg@s...>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 09:05:33 -0500
qutlx1@a... wrote:

> Russ, Here's a question i first asked about 1974 or '75. In the pre or mostly
> non radio days how did the road jobs know which trk to s/o or p/u on at Eola?
> I would guess that your comment about handing up a note(on the back of a
> clearance form) to the locals is a clue. I recall the number boards placed in
> the tower window at Union Ave for the passenger trains for the unloading side
> in CUS. Did the tower at W Eola use that type of system or a note handed up
> by the operator to tell the road crews where to p/u and s/o? Any help greatly
> appreciated. P.S. In 1975 the "old timers" were then unclear. It really
> brought back memories when I saw your comment about "A-3 and 13 to the
> house". Leo

Leo:

To the best of my knowledge all Graybacks had radios. By the mid sixties
so did all GP & SD units. Some units that were normally assigned to
places like Streator, La Salle, or Rock Falls might or might not. The yard
engines at Cicero usually did but if one did not they would probably put
it on a District Job.

There were also yard offices at the West end of both yards where a road
crew could talk directly to whomever they wanted to. 67A almost always
came in the yard at the East end so they would take their power up to
the office for instructions and paper work. If an Eastbound was going
running track and had work they would just stop at the yard office also.

The Mails often went the "New Track". The 9153 was the only SW1 in that
area that had a radio so in that case the Operator really did perform
some function. The West Chicago Mail's usually used GP7's but the day
job and the Alley job went with SW1's or whatever.

That's about the depth of my knowledge on the subject.

Russ