BRHS Archive Computer is infected!!!

To: "'Edward M. DeRouin'" <PIXELS@A...>, "'Perry Bilotta'" <pbilotta@m...>, "'River Street Press'" <rivstreet@a...>, "'Postal World'" <postalwrld@a...>, "'Neta Meier - BRHS Membership'" <Safestore@a...>, <cbqrr@j...>, "'Chuck Zeiler'" <cz@c...>, <grtacey@n...>, <RGortowski@a...>
Subject: BRHS Archive Computer is infected!!!
From: "David Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 22:30:39 -0500
Cc: <BRHSlist@egroups.com>
In a fleeting moment of stupidity, I opened an ILOVEYOU email this morning.
I've been so trained to not open any executable file like .exe or .vbs.
Unfortunately I didn't see in the attachment that the .txt file was actually
a .txt.vbs, which is a Visual Basic script. I'm not sure why my McAfee
didn't catch this, it must be a new virus. It replaced over 3,000 jpg files
with 11k jpg.vbs files. Most of these files are backed-up, but at this time
I'm not certain just how many I'll have to re-scan for the BRHS Archives.

Luckily I was offline when I opened the file so I should not have sent it to
anyone. But by the time I realized what was happening, it was too late.

Goes to show how important backups are!

Dumb Dave.