[CBQ] LCL Traffic

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] LCL Traffic
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 22:48:46 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1244515888; bh=Pd9cfGmdAIfhXdUTMLoNysJkqSHt4KojowygtqndsFo=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Nuk33JhX0j7Oh4ey4uun7SlSTkJrg1SpYCMyzdtBOXEWmUzexQEx3RSYXBOxJ22vPURi2hV0pabRIpDsPDnCpIsQzmB9uK8z6V9Ek7pwhcED5EW3cqp/waP2nqLlIyuW
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dustin,

I can only pass on what my research and interviews with the old heads has
revealed. (Pete has been a great help in my research.) What I have learned
is  that each w/f had an LCL car for the smaller stations on its  route,the
bigger stations might have one or more of their own spotted at  the depot or
frt house. For example the Rockfalls w/f had an lcl car and then  one or
more for Plano,Sandwich,etc. As I understand it cars weren't "ordered" by  the
shipper but rather it took its' LCL to the depot/frt house and the  agent
and helper loaded it into the LCL car. Generally LCL was the rear brkmns
responsibility while the head man handled the "station" work. The "peddler"
car
was generally next to the w/c.
Wade Gorman used to talk about starting his Q career as a station agents
helper during the Depression and lamented how a good box car would be tied up
 for days bringing a part or 2 of farm equipment to Plano in its assigned
LCL car. One comment I recall him making was opening the door on a car to
find one sprocket laying in the car,sum total of its load. The Aurora frt
house  was the transload point for all the wayfreights based out of Eola. My
notes show  that at one time there was a "Frt House" job at Aurora that worked
up to 16  hours a night spotting and pulling the frt house. Then the
"peddler" cars were  dragged up to Eola in the wee morning hours to be added to
that days w/fs. No  doubt this same pattern existed at all major points.
I have been unable to find the exact end to LCL as Annual Reports as late
as 1959 still show a dwindling amount of earnings from this service. My Eola
 Rdhse. assingment book for '53-'55 doesn't list an Aurora frt hosue job.
As a  child in the late 50/early 60s I remember there were no cars at the
Aurora frt  house but a Burlington truck lines rig sat in the parking lot each
day for  some time.
George Krekan would tell his story of unloading desks at Startford if one
would stand still to listen. I recall his seniority date as 194(?). I
believe this was on the "pickup" eastbound from Savanna.
I would venture that the Q would probably NOT put a foreign car into LCL
due to the demurrage charges. These cars could end up in "tramp" service for
a  long time or be pulled and used for c/l at any time. I do have some
original  docs for foreign LCL cars going to House 5 for re-securing of loads
before  moving onto final destinations after being received in interchange at
Chicago.

Also dont forget the "route cars" of company material moving over assigned
routes,on assigned days in wayfreights from the stores dept at Aurora and
Havelock. These were much like LCL but only company material.

I would really enjoy learning more details of LCL and "route cars"
service.

Leo
steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222585043x1201462775/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=