Re: [CBQ] LCL Traffic

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] LCL Traffic
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 21:03:02 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1244595873; bh=yBIoagjUCOTySzGXYclG6TtDtimwBRQeKQrUccVelxU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:To:X-AOL-IP:In-Reply-To:X-MB-Message-Source:X-MB-Message-Type:X-Mailer:X-Received:Message-Id:X-Spam-Flag:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=oH4V3UTcmoeFuIOKwgmoMgHBgyrnR38aobpyz70lzp3WcpAWQRRzKrU87+ssAtBSmVLtmHZ+hn/NjVYAUrbTbH2A76SQTn+KiOKlHrJxZU/q1Z/gTOhDLtcbY1ANZM7+
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo et al

Since you, Leo were so kind as to credit me with "help" I'll give a little more
in the way of LCL tales...I've got a couple of my own, but here's a little
exerpt from a self published book titled CLINKERS, PACKING HOOKS AND RAILROAD
MEMORIES authored by the late Ed O'neill, long time Lincoln Division and
Conductor...The book is? a great...rambling of various experiences Ed had of
his 40 plus years on the Q...I never worked with him, but knew of him...I'd
like to get the book republished and I'm told that Ed's daughter would like
that also so maybe my "round tuit" will come in before too long..Here's the
story as it relates to LCL

Branch line trains usually handled only about 5 to 20 cars, often only about 10
cars.? The merchandise cars were on the rear end just ahead of the waycar.?
When you arrived in town, the head man went ahead and did any switching, while
teh rear man got up in the merchandise car which had been spotted at the
depot.? The rear man dug out the freight and brought it to the door while the
conductor and agent decided who was going to get theri gloves on last and so,
get to check the frieght against the waybill while the other piled it on the
baggage or hand truck.? Sometimes, if both were old and the b rakeman was
young, they succeeded in fumbling with their gloves until the brakeman put the
frieght on the truck and they both checked it.

Over at Juniata (station between Hastings and Kenesaw, NE) there was a dealer
handling, I think, Watkins products.? He often got over 100 pieceds in a
shipment but most of them weighed only a couple of pounds but you had to look
all over the car for them.? Sometimes we would have a stove or furnace to
unload, those big, round stock tanks were ajoyh in a strong wind.? Section
foreman wold get barrels of gasoline and they were fun to wrestle.? Large
crated sofas were askward to handle as you had to lift and turn them to get
them to and out the door.? Rolls of barbed wire naturally brought smiles to our
faces.

It wasn't bad a stations where they still had baggage trucks so you could work
at floor leel but most smaller stations had gotten rid of them and you had to
load or unload from ground level to the car level...I remmeber yet a 800 pound
barrel of sheep casing for the old Wilber Wiener Works.? We had to unload it
onto the ground since the agent didn't want his only baggage truck tied up with
a barrel that half filled it.? The wiener company refused the casings for some
reason adn we had to load it back up and send it back to Lincoln.? Somewhere
enrooute the return tag came off and here came the barrel back to Wilber.? so
we unloaded it again, andnaturally it was refused again.? So we had to roll it
up the planks iknto the car again and send it back.? I sure got tired of that
barrel of wiener casings. Another night at Dewitt I and John Becker loaded 7
tons of Vise Grip wrenches in 96 pound cartons, into the merchandise car.? That
was early in the war and, I understood, the Air Force was equipping each plane
with a wrench.? That was the largest shipment I ran into.? I suspect I got off
that assign;ment nd went on some other job."

I'm very familiar with the Vise Grip shipments at Dewitt.? The plant was
Peterson Manufacturing and was in business making the nationally know Vise Grip
Pliers until recently when the plant closed throwing several hundred people out
of work.

Ed is not exaggerating about the heavy cartons although the ones we loaded in
the 1950's I don't think weighed 96 pounds...probably closer to 50-60.? They
were small compact cartons, but very heavy.? It wasn't unusual to have two
baggage truck loads of these things each night when we came north on No. 94,
the Lincoln-Wymore Local.? Fortunately the Dewitt depot had a brick platform so
you didn't have to pull the truck through a typical branch line cinder
platform.?

One night...we were usually there about 9:00pm hence no agent on duty...we
pulled up and spotted the merchadise car, unlocked the freight house and saw
the usual two truckloads of Vise Grips...The old conductor said..."hell we
don't want to load these tonight...I'll just tell em "we didn't have no
merchandise car...HIGHBALL"...and we did...So much for customer service.

Leo you mentioned the end of LCL service...On the RI it was 1965...and the end
was not a sad thing for me as Freight Claim agent...You wouldn't believe the
hassle and paperwork involved in processing a loss or damage claim for LCL
merchadise.

You also mentioned the Freight Houses...The Rock Island had, at Blue Island a
large freight house with probably 6-8 tracks...There were round the clock
"house engines"..The afternoon job would pull all the tracks, shove the
"setbacks" back in the track, but not spotted and switch out the outbounds for
the evening trains...There was a night "house job" who was suposed to put the
emties and setbacks back in, but he never got it done since he always got used
to make deliveries in the early am.
The agent, an excitable Italian? named Mike Dell, would come to work at 7;00am
and find the house not spotted.? He would first call me and
yell..."Hedgpath..do you know the house is not spotted and I've got 70 men with
nothing to do...I could only offer sympathy and hope that I could get out of
there before the Superintendent would call me..Mike having immediately called
him after calling me and the Supt would yell the same thing at me.? It was an
every day occurrence.

The LCLbusiness was still much alive and well in 64 when I escaped from the
Operating Dept., but ended, I'm reasonably sure in 65

A minor correction, Leo..You referred to the non use of foreign cars because of
the "demurrage charge"...I'm sure you meant per diem..I can't think of any time
that demurrage would apply to an LCL shipment since the cars were always
spotted on a railroad facility.

I may have a bit more LCL stuff and I'll put it on when it pops into my already
"overloaded with useless trivia brain.

Pete.