[CBQ] CB&Q/BREX Reefer Schemes

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q/BREX Reefer Schemes
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 05:51:16 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I've been looking for an Accurail BREX 40' steel ice reefer and ran across one, but when I looked at some photos, it seems it may have a scheme that was never used. A photo of the reefer in question can be found on the BRHS website in the modeling section:

http://www.burlingtonroute.org/Qrailroad/modeling/images/modeling_full/ReefSwing_74239.jpg

The cars originally came in the following scheme shown on a custom painted Intermountain model:
 http://www.burlingtonroute.org/Qrailroad/modeling/images/modeling_full/ReefRS_74215-2.jpg

BB12 on reefers shows that this series of reefers was indeed delivered with hand painted black ladders grabirons and door hardware. But the photos in BB12 of these reefers in their late schemes show the large BR herald to the far upper right of the car. A photo of this later scheme is shown at http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/misc-frt/brex74920o26.jpg. The BB12 photos, however, do not have the block "Way of the Zephyrs", and I have found other photos as well without the slogan.

The Accurail car looks more like a "non-blackened" version of the original paint scheme, not the later repaint paint scheme. Does anyone have photos of BREX reefers in what I'll call a "Simplified Script" scheme? I'm not sating that no cars were in this scheme, but I don't have any photos readily available. is this just a foobie scheme?

BTW, on the BRHS modelers page this is not noted as an incorrect scheme on the swing door or plug door 40" ice reefers, but BB12 only shows photos of the simplified Script scheme on 50' mechanical reefers, not on any 40' ice reefers.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64982) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_