Re: [CBQ] Semaphore usage on the Q

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Semaphore usage on the Q
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:47:33 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Rupert got me into reading old magazines on the computer.
Railway Signaling 4/26  Lower Quad double arm semaphores changed out for GRS Triangular light signals  36.6 miles triple track Chicago to Aurora replaced 368 Hall Style K 60 degree lower quad double arm semaphores installed in 1914.  Work started in 1923.  Old signals sent to signal shop for rebuild and reused farther west.
1931 new tower Seminary St. Galesburg came with GRS Type S-A searchlight signals
In my reading the CB&Q  Signal Dept took their own path as they did not agree with how the circuits worked and designed and built their own.  The technology moved from east to west with often new spots using new ideas.  The Standard CB&Q signal bridge was written up in Oct 1912 and used until the change to PTC darth vader signals and higher bridges.  Often signals were adapted to the terrain they were put up in.  So the signals could be seen
Often signal ideas were developed after meetings in smoke filled rooms at annual conventions where many roads were represented and ideas shared.  I have both a 1 1/2 and a 2 1/2 inch thick notebooks full of notes and copies of articles on signaling which I used every day for 35 years while working and wanted to know more about the development.  Retired BN/BNSF DS  Cicero, Galesburg and then Ft. Worth.
Steve in SC