[CBQ] BB68

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] BB68
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:12:51 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Growing up in Brookfield I spent many hours at Congress Park.

The coverage of operations there is mind-blowing....this Bulletin will no doubt
become one of the most referenced one in my collection.

Unfortunately I did not start taking photos and missed recording the action.  I
remember climbing over O2 /3 or M1/2 engines drawbared cab to cab in the IHB
yard....and from that vantage point unexpectedly seeing a Hudson powered fan
trip head west over the bridge!

The photo of the fireman relaying hand signals at Maple Avenue reminded me of
an eastbound O5 struggling getting getting cars out of the interchange because
the block was buried deep in the train.   The engine was on Maple Avenue and
took a good five minutes of spinning drivers and sand to get moving.  This was
during the '56 or '57 grain rush when steam returned on the East End.

I would be curious to know if any records shed light on interchange traffic
there c.1897/8.   I believe the connection may have been built as soon as the
line finally was built through LaGrange.

The D&RGW GP40s pictured in the Bulletin may very well have been the units I
saw which were the most modern power I recall seeing going through Congress
Park.