Re: [CBQ] Signals & Phone Boxes

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Signals & Phone Boxes
From: "Jerold Crawford" <jeroldincitruspark@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 12:37:51 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I remember when I grew up on the CB&Q branch from Corydon.  We had railroad service on TUE and FRI every week from Humeston on the Chariton (IA) to St. Joseph (MO) branch.  Seems to me that they ran between those two cities south to St. Joseph on MON, WED, and FRI and back north to Chariton on TUE, THU, and SAT.  That way trains came to Corydon i day a week from the northbound train and the southbound train one day a week.

Being a child of the 1960s (I am almost 70 now), I remember watching the Christmas Story when the father went to the railroad depot to pick up his "leg lamp"  There were so many people there getting their less-than-carload (LCL) freight.  Things like furniture, bicycles, appliances, and the like came in by freight. It was a big deal when freight came into town

The Rock Island was only 1/4th of a mile away but they already could not be bothered in supplying Corydon with LCL freight. The depot was removed in the 1950s and they only stopped occasionally to serve a single agricultural interest.

Meanwhile, the CB&Q had a depot (quite aged) with a full-time agent MON-FRI (found out he was the father of an acquaintance that I met as an adult in Des Moines, IA) and was at the end of a rather decrepit 13-mile-long branch off a slightly less decrepit secondary route between a large town and a small city served not only LCL freight, but a cement plant and a feed store.

I miss those days.  I actually tear up when I drive past the many CB&Q branch line right-of-ways. The Burlington Route served every county that was in the southern two tiers of Iowa counties. and every county seat except for Van Buran County.  One by one, lines were removed in the 1960s and through the early 1980s so that all but Lee and Fremont Counties (bookend counties on the east and west side of the state) have lost Burlington services in the farthest southern tier of Iowa counties.  All the counties but Lee in the southernmost tier of county seats have lost Burlington Route services.  Very sad.

--

Jerold Crawford

Citrus Park FL, formerly from Corydon (Wayne County) and Des Moines, IA

jeroldincitruspark@gmail.com

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64949) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_