[CBQ] Signals & Phone Boxes

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Signals & Phone Boxes
From: "Robert Herrick" <rdherrick@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2023 12:16:55 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Rich's questions about phone box dimensions got me to thinking. As some of you know, I researched the C&I from Steward Jct. to Oregon, primarily, for many years. Among the many people I interviewed was Ron Copher, who, as memory serves me, was in locomotive service with the Q and the BN. He ran into an operator who worked Rochelle somewhere in the 1947-51 era who relayed the following:

"The signal at 82.2 (the coal chute board), an absolute control signal in both directions, was controlled by the operator mainly to protect passenger trains at the depot. He also had a lockout switch for eastbound moves across the C&NW (RX tower) for the same purpose. The operator had the usual "on the bell" section in advance of his control sections. All communications was by phones."

Ron speculated the phone boxes from Steward to Flagg Center had knife switches: up to talk to Rochelle or RX and down to get the Aurora dispatcher. Took me awhile to get to the phone box, but there you are.

Any of the professionals care to add or comment?

Bob Herrick
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64929) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_