Re: [CBQ] Hand Sign clinic 12/16

To: CBQ <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hand Sign clinic 12/16
From: "Doug Hartman" <douglas.p.hartman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 16:08:15 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
When you talk about dropping cars, maybe also what happened when the drop came up short :)

On Sat, Dec 17, 2022, 8:35 AM Leo Phillipp via groups.io <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Maybe the following will help with the variance in hand signals. As always keep in mind hand signs were extremely regional or even down to certain locations. For example at last nights clinic I demonstrated the 2 different signs for “go to the main” that were used at locations less than 50 miles apart.

Back/Go forward signs:

For daylight it was as follows:
1)Back up or reverse or take the cars/engine away from me- hands move outward away from body, some what like swating a bug away. But on a larger scale.
2)Move engine/ahead or towards me-think of a reverse wave where the hand(s) are brought back toward the body in a circular motion.

The difference came at night.
As explained to me one night when the engine went in the opposite direction that was desired after I gave a sign. At night the ground men had to think in relation to whether the engineer was facing the control stand or facing away from it.
1) if the desired move was to bring the cars/engine towards you and the engineer was looking over the control stand the signal was up and down with the lantern.
2)if the desired move was to bring the cars/engine towards you and the engineer was turned looking away and/or the desired move would cause him to turn his body away from the control stand the signal was lantern swung in a circle.

Leo Phillipp

> On Dec 12, 2022, at 11:50 AM, Winton <runextra@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Old head CB&Q switch conductor to switch engineer after the engineer
> forgot to move the reverser 3 times in a short period of time,
> knocking  the pulled pin down each time.
> 1. He points to his eye, meaning "I'm"
> 2. He makes a big kick with his leg, meaning "gonna kick"
> 3. He points to the engineer, meaning "your"
> 4. He pats his own behind, meaning "ass".
>
> Don't ask how I know this. I'll deny it.
>
> One of the things that were odd to me when I came from the Penn
> Central to the former CB&Q was the the Q mens use of the daytime
> direction "Come towards me" and the "Go away from me" hand signals. On
> the PC we used the same signals day and night. Lantern or hand up &
> down for ahead and lantern or hand in a circle for back up.

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64785) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_