Re: [CBQ] BN/CB&Q renumbering/patched units

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BN/CB&Q renumbering/patched units
From: "Steve Haas" <Goatfisher2@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 12:05:20 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

The BN Annuals (All of them, just not the 1970 one) are probably your best starting point.

Make, model, predecessor Road & Number, Builder number, delivery date Assigned BN number, , , , , and lots of pictures.

You won’t be able to build a comprehensive reference based on the annuals alone, but by looking at picture dates and road numbers in the pictures you can start.

Add in pictures from RR-Fallen-Flags and other online sources, the various BN Pictorials, etc. and you can further refine your data.

With columns for:

Date of newest picture with predecessor colors/number,

Date of earliest pic with paint outs,

Date of latest pic with paint outs,

Date of earliest pic in BN colors,

You can use the dates to eliminate units that don’t match the numbering methods you are interested in, and

For the remaining units you can use the earliest/latest dates of numbering methodology to see if they span your desired time frame,

I’m a retired relational database designer/developer/programmer; If one wanted to include references/links to various photos of a given engine one could create a simple two table database – one for the engines themselves, and a second table with one entry for each picture, describing the attributes of that picture.

Also, if one is developing a database of diesels, I strongly to encourage the inclusion of the Builder (Alco, EMC, EMD, GE, Baldwin, etc.), _AND_ the builder number in the locomotive table; Any given diesel might have multiple road numbers but will only have one builder number during its life. Adopting this concept made it much easier for me to track GN F units through the mud of the road’s renumbering of FT, F3, F7 & F9 units.

Those of you interested in the design of potential roster databases feel free to contact me off list for more discussion.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Haas

Snoqualmie, WA

Thanks!

Chris Munson
Frisco, TX

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#64648) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_