Re: [CBQ] Suburban Commuter Stations

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Suburban Commuter Stations
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 02:49:51 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
First remember the CB&Q was made up of many different companies each at one time independent so often the depots were built to the then company standard.
Hollywood, Brookfield and Congress Park were all built very similar.  Congress Park had the elevation fill up the one story except for the street side.
When I worked at Congress Park in '73 the B&B foreman for the East End lived upstairs with his wife and 3 kids.  The wife worked as a  ticket clerk downstairs about 4 hours a day.  And the waiting room was a hang out for local kids the same age as those upstairs.  Later as a DS in the Cicero office.  One of the guy's mother lived upstairs in the Fairview Depot.  Which if you look at old photos  Fairview and Somonauk were very similar
The real CB&Q Standard Depots came with the 1910-1934 era when new depots were built at the larger towns.  General brick like the present Plano and Princeton.  The old depot was moved off to the side and reused as a separate freight house.  Then the people in the smaller towns kicked up a stink for a better depot and the Q went in and jacked many up put in a new floor along with brick and or stucco coating the outside.  Classic example is Lisle.  The old wood depot was stuccoed and all the class was gone.  Looks a whole lot better today with the stucco removed.
The first standard I have found for CB&Q Buildings came in 1904 with the outside Indian Red with Bronze green trim and windows for ALL buildings.  Then add weathering and it is up for grabs.
Steve in SC