Re: [CBQ] Suburban Commuter Stations

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Suburban Commuter Stations
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 17:13:49 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Ray-

I am working on a history of the Aurora Branch, Chicago & Aurora, and CB&Q line (the East End / “Racetrack”) Aurora – Chicago which will be titled “Mileposts to Chicago”.

The CB&Q likely did not have to move many, if any, buildings when it acquired its ROW in 1862-64 for the building of the “Chicago Branch”.

Prior to the railroad being built there wasn’t much of anything between Aurora and Chicago in the way. Naperville was probably the most developed town and the railroad came through considerably north of what was then the town center.  The CB&Q paralleled the Chcago,. St.Charles and Mississippi Air Line (Galena & Chicago Union / C&NW) almost to Western Avenue so even in Chicago there was very little built up areas in the way.  Lyons (Riverside) developed with the railroad so there was no problem there.

Prior to 1900 most of the depots had second stories for the agent’s quarters.  Downers Grove and Hinsdale were not much before the railroad came through.

The records of when stops were established and stations built are either non-existent or flawed.  The extent the railroad was involved in the process when a developer wanted to build a station is not clear but there were very few “standard” CB&Q designs on the East End.  The depot at Hollywood was built by Samuel E. Gross, a major Chicago developer who also built Grossdale (Brookfield) and West Grossdale (Congress Park).   Other developers were behind most of the depots on the line beyond the ones built by the railroad when it opened.

The Chicago Fire in 1871 probably destroyed some early equipment and Aurora Branch/Chicago & Aurora information; but much more loss happened with the 1922 General Office Building fire probably as they only recreated records for facilities and equipment in use at that time so much of the history literally went up in smoke!

It is maddening how few photos exist of the line.  There are many stations that NO photos have turned up.

Most people living along the former Q have no idea how slow development of the suburbs took.   I was born in 1945 and through grade school there were whole sections on the north and south sides of Brookfield that were vacant lots (what we called “prairies”).  Many of the streets were not paved until the 1960’s.  Even closer in

Now one has to drive past Sandwich to get away from a constant array of Starbuck’s, McDonald’s, and other highly developed varieties of urban spawl!.

Charlie Vlk