Re: [CBQ] Havelock Economy Streamline Baggage Car Color?

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Havelock Economy Streamline Baggage Car Color?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 14:02:17 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

I believe that the Green Economy baggage cars were painted in the standard CB&Q passenger car green that dated back to the first heavyweight steel cars. Brian, you are correct in observing it was different than “Pullman Green”.   Perhaps Bill Glick has some insight into this issue?

Has anyone preserved a set of CB&Q drift cards?   The same question could be asked for ANY of the colors used on CB&Q equipment.  Of course, the prototype drift cards are subject to adjustment for use on models and formulation to recreate same from whatever paints currently survive in the marketplace.

(for example, drift cards and liquid paint samples for the F Unit “Imitation Aluminum” are WAY darker than the paint as applied to a locomotive which ranged from a refrigerator white, creamy white, to a very light grey depending on the era (change in paint during the life of F Units) and weathering and lighting / sky colors (not to start that perpetual debate once again, just to caution against matching drift cards instead of using them as a starting point for painting models)>

For that matter, has a set of stencil drawings been preserved for CB&Q “RR Roman” Locomotive, Passenger (normal and extended), CB&Q “Ribbon Style”and other lettering (buildings, signs, etc.)?

Perhaps some of these are lurking the BRHS archives or in somebody’s collection???

For the record, in the late 1960’s BC (before computers) I used Budd Company drawings from the CB&Q to create a full set of Zephyr lettering (including the AE for Aeolus).  This was printed in RMC along with Marshall Thayer’s articles on the early shovelnoses.  I believe it was also the basis for the Micro-Scale decal sets and later computer fonts.   About the same era I drew in pen and ink the art for the Nickel Plate Products S4a #4000 which was also used for the Micro-Scale decal art.

I purchased digital copies of the “CB&Q ARA Railroad Roman” stencil drawings for freight car lettering from the Colorado Railroad Museum and made CorelDraw art for all the characters.  I haven’t converted  them into a computer font set yet as I haven’t had the need but easily could do so.

I am happy to share if anyone needs these for personal or product consulting purposes.

Thanks,
Charlie Vlk

Railroad Model Resources

BRHS #24