Re: [CBQ] Allied trucks in freight service

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Allied trucks in freight service
From: "Jeff Kling" <tvrrproto48@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 08:16:12 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
>From the 1959 AAR Interchange rules.  "Rule 3 (t) (1-d) All cars with Allied Full-Cushion trucks prohibited. In interchange."  What I found more interesting was in the very front of the book. "Changes from 1958 rules."  Rule 3 Section (t) Paragraph (I-d) relating to Allied Full-Cushion trucks modified, account sufficient time has elapsed to permit compliance, as shown in Supplement No. 1 to the 1958 code."  My take from this is the railroads had one year of less to replace the Allied trucks depending on when the supplement was issued.

I'm more curious as to when the "trucks modified" ruling was issued. Was it before the Jan 1 1955 memo from the PRR and lack of compliance triggered the memo from the PRR. Or did the memo trigger a supplement to the 1955 Rules book or later.

For Nelson.

When first built the cars assigned for freight service had their Allied trucks painted mineral brown. If the Q was as fanatical about painting as the UP was during that period I would say they would have received a full repaint including trucks when transferred from express to freight. Also four cars never made it to freight service having been destroyed in accidents. So your number series would be 30000-30049, 31000-31099, 34900-34999 with cars 30049, 31092, 34918 and 34983 not making it back into the roster. These four cars were destroyed offline; D&SL, CRIP, MP and SP between 1941 and 1945. I'm assuming these were in freight trains at the time of their demise and I'm curious if the Allied trucks were the cause of the accidents.

In any case I'm confident I car have a XM-32 in freight service with Allied trucks in the spring of 1956.

Jeff
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63454) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_