[CBQ] Did the Burlington cut and ship its own ice ?

To: CBQ@groups.io, BRHSlist@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Did the Burlington cut and ship its own ice ?
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:05:52 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I viewed a picture today while doing some research that brought questions to
mind.
It’s been well documented how the Q (like many railroads) operated on a
vertical integration business model. That is it controlled and produced as many
of its needed inputs itself as possible. Examples would be car building and
repair ,car scrapping and parts reclaiming ,operating landfills ,gravel pits
and hosts of other functions.

The icing platforms that re-iced the reefer cars had to consume massive
quantities of ice. Something I’ve never thought about before is did the Q
cut,load,ship,etc ice from locomotive water ponds/lakes (I’m thinking of places
like Galesburg and Mendota ,IL that had large reservoirs built by the Q for
locomotive water in the dead of winter before commercial mechanical ice houses
were developed ?
If so we’re the ice cutting/loading crews RR employees or hired seasonal
contractors?

Leo Phillipp