Re: [CBQ] Peoria Alley Track - May St

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Peoria Alley Track - May St
From: "ken thompson" <mailboat4@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2022 19:11:41 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hi Roger,

Here's a later version of the CB&Q, BN track map for Peoria.  It shows lots of spurs on the alley track.  If you look straight up from Edmund St. there's even what looks like a recent note on the spur to A. Miller & Co. spur.  It says retired in place.  I've had this map since I started modeling the Peoria Sub. and never noticed this "note" before.  As you're probably aware, there are bits and pieces of the alley track still in place.  The old United Facilities structure  and the Potter Fleming rail loading dock, plus A. Miller are three that I know of.  I have some shots of A. Miller with cars at their dock if you're interested.  I didn't check the alley out until 1984 so I'm sure I missed seeing some things of interest.  At that time Wahlfeld Mfg. was still getting cars of some sort of wood products from the northwest.  I caught the local spotting a boxcar there on Mother's Day in May 1985.  Their dock is between buildings south of Washington St..

One thing I'm trying to find more information on is the BN's piggyback track that was north of Persimmon St.  If you have any info on that I'd be delighted.  I've seen only two pictures of it.  One is on page 8 of Ed Johnson's Trackside Around Peoria book and the other is on page ix in the Linroth Peoria book.  I think this ramp (actually in a double ended trench) ran until 1980, the year I'm currently modeling.

Ken Thompson
So. Milwaukee, WI