Re: [CBQ] Passenger Es in freight service

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Es in freight service
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 22:28:16 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Number 14 is listed in the ETTs as a daily express train. I do remember the old timers talking about how it had freight cars in the consist.

I checked Chicago and Aurora Div. ETTs. No. 14 first appears in number 49 dated 4/27/58 and is allowed 33 minutes between Cicero and C.U.S.  By ETT number 2 of 4/30/61 the train is allowed 45 minutes between Cicero and C.U.S.
The trains last listing is ETT #1 of 6/1/67 and it now has one hour between Cicero and CUS. I double checked and 14 is listed as operating into C.U.S. in each TT. There would be no reason to run light motive power into the station when they could be routed into 14th st at Union Ave tower. So I can’t explain why it’s shown going to C.U.S.

As to why the mail and express cars were left at Cicero I can only conjecture that it might have had something to do with #14 being yarded at Cicero and yardmen’s work agreements. While I don’t have Chicago Division work agreements in my files I suspect that once the train was yarded all subsequent work to that train was Cicero Switchman's work.

Also the train crew would have been  a freight crew as opposed to a passenger crew. A freight crews terminal was Cicero so them going beyond Cicero would have involved arbitrary time slips as well as from switchmen.

Leo Phillipp